1887

Abstract

SUMMARY

The number of haemopbili in saliva was estimated by growth on a selective medium consisting of chocolate agar containing bacitracin (10 units per ml) and cloxacillin (5 g per ml). The mean count of 100 saliva specimens was 31.79 × 10 haemophili per ml of saliva.

Area sampling on to selective medium from the cheek, palate and tongue often subjects gave mean counts of haemophili of 3870, 5675 and 7415 per cm respectively.

Examination of the colonies on ten randomly selected saliva plate counts showed that 92.8 per cent. were V-dependent and that the remaining 7.2 per cent. required V and X factors. No haemophili requiring only X factor were isolated. The V-dependent haemophili could be subdivided into five groups on the basis of growth in broth containing 0.2 per cent. Teepol, production of capsules, agglutination of human red blood cells, and beta-haemolysis on horse blood agar.

The mixed mass of oral bacteria when growing in culture will support satellite growth of , but V factor could be demonstrated in saliva only when it had been heated at 60°C for 1 hr. Neither the saliva nor the bacteria in it was a source of X factor.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journal/jmm/10.1099/00222615-3-4-615
1970-11-01
2024-06-25
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

/deliver/fulltext/jmm/3/4/medmicro-3-4-615.html?itemId=/content/journal/jmm/10.1099/00222615-3-4-615&mimeType=html&fmt=ahah

References

  1. Alexander Hattie E. 1965 In Bacterial and mycotic infections of man 4th ed., edited by Dubos R. J., Hirsch J. G. London: p 730
    [Google Scholar]
  2. Baber K. G. 1969 J. Med. Lab. Technol 26:391
    [Google Scholar]
  3. Bisset K. A., Davis G. H. G. 1960; The microbial flora of the mouth. London
    [Google Scholar]
  4. Branson Dorothy. 1968 Appl. Microbiol 16:256
    [Google Scholar]
  5. Burnett G. W., Scherp H. W. 1968; Oral microbiology and infectious disease. 3rd ed Baltimore p 279
    [Google Scholar]
  6. Controni G., Waheed Kahn M., Patrick J. R., Ross S. 1968 Regist. Med. Technol. Tech. Bull 38:94
    [Google Scholar]
  7. Cowan S. T., Steel K. J. 1965; Manual for the identification of medical bacteria. Cambridge
    [Google Scholar]
  8. Crawford J. J., Barden Louise, Kirkman J. B. Jr 1969 Appl. Microbiol 18:646
    [Google Scholar]
  9. Duguid J. P. 1951 Path. Bact 63:673
    [Google Scholar]
  10. Evans Florence L. 1948 J. Bact 56:507
    [Google Scholar]
  11. Fleming A., Maclean I. H. 1930 Br. J. Exp. Path 11:127
    [Google Scholar]
  12. Holt L. B. 1962 J. Gen. Microbiol 27:317
    [Google Scholar]
  13. Howie J. W., Kirkpatrick J. 1934 J. Path. Bact 39:165
    [Google Scholar]
  14. Jameson J. E., Emberley N. W. 1956 J. Gen. Microbiol 15:198
    [Google Scholar]
  15. Johanson W. G., Pierce A. K., Sanford J. P. 1969 Appl. Microbiol 18:276
    [Google Scholar]
  16. Kohn J. 1962 Dapim Reff. uim 21:365
    [Google Scholar]
  17. Mann J. M., Rheins M. A. 1968 Appl. Microbiol 16:1343
    [Google Scholar]
  18. Nolte W. A. 1968 In Oral microbiology, St Louis pp 3–37
    [Google Scholar]
  19. Pickett M. J., Stewart R. M. 1953 Amer. J. Clin. Path 23:713
    [Google Scholar]
  20. Pittman Margaret. 1931 J. Exp. Med 53:471
    [Google Scholar]
  21. Pritchett Ida W., Stillman E. G. 1919 Ibid 29:259
    [Google Scholar]
  22. Stokes E. Joan. 1968; Clinical bacteriology. 3rd ed London:
    [Google Scholar]
  23. Turk D. C., May J. R. 1967; Haemophilus influenzae: its clinical importance. London p 11
    [Google Scholar]
  24. Zinnemann K., Rogers K. B., Frazer Joyce, Boyce J. M. H. 1968 J. Path. Bact 96:413
    [Google Scholar]
http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journal/jmm/10.1099/00222615-3-4-615
Loading
/content/journal/jmm/10.1099/00222615-3-4-615
Loading

Data & Media loading...

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error