Most hospital bacteriologists have divided staphylococci into two groups: and the coagulase-negative staphylococci of which the novobiocin-resistant varieties are termed The identification of has been easy but that of the other staphylococci has provided some difficulties and most currently available methods are expensive or time consuming. Multipoint inoculation of a set of test media provides a convenient way of identifying large numbers of staphylococcal isolates. In tests with 118 isolates, mainly clinical but including some environmental isolates and some from the National Collection of Type Cultures, there was 90.7% agreement between identifications by the API-Staph system and by the multipoint system. The remaining 9.3% of strains was identified by the multipoint system but could not be identified by use of the data supplied in the API-Staph kit.


Article metrics loading...

Loading full text...

Full text loading...



  1. Doem G. V. 1984; Coagulase-negative staphylococci—Clinical significance and laboratory identification. Laboratory Medicine 15:25–32
    [Google Scholar]
  2. Kloos W. C., Musselwhite M. S. 1975; Distribution and persistence of Staphylococcus and Micrococcus species and other aerobic bacteria on human skin. Applied Microbiology 30:381–385
    [Google Scholar]
  3. Morgan J. W. 1983; Abbreviated scheme for the presumptive identification of Staphylococcus saprophyticus from urine cultures. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 18:1272–1274
    [Google Scholar]
  4. Schleifer K. H., Kloos W. E. 1975; A simple test system for the separation of staphylococci from micrococci. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1:337–338
    [Google Scholar]

Data & Media loading...

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error