1887

Abstract

Human papillomavirus (HPV) has a well-recognized aetiological role in the development of cervical cancer and other anogenital tumours. Recently, an association between colorectal cancer and HPV infection has been suggested, although this is still controversial. This study aimed at detecting and characterizing HPV infection in 57 paired biopsies from colorectal cancers and adjacent intact tissues using a degenerate PCR approach. All amplified fragments were genotyped by means of sequencing. Overall, HPV prevalence was 12.3 %. In particular, 15.8 % of tumour tissues and 8.8 % of non-cancerous tissue samples were HPV DNA-positive. Of these samples, 85.7 % were genotyped successfully, with 41.7 % of sequences identifying four genotypes of the HR (high oncogenic risk) clade Group 1; the remaining 58.3 % of HPV-genotyped specimens had an unclassified β-HPV. Examining additional cases and analysing whole genomes will help to outline the significance of these findings.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journal/jgv/10.1099/vir.0.070672-0
2015-01-01
2019-10-22
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

/deliver/fulltext/jgv/96/1/206.html?itemId=/content/journal/jgv/10.1099/vir.0.070672-0&mimeType=html&fmt=ahah

References

  1. Damin D. C., Ziegelmann P. K., Damin A. P.. ( 2013;). Human papillomavirus infection and colorectal cancer risk: a meta-analysis. . Colorectal Dis 15:, e420–e428. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  2. de Roda Husman A. M., Walboomers J. M., van den Brule A. J., Meijer C. J., Snijders P. J.. ( 1995;). The use of general primers GP5 and GP6 elongated at their 3′ ends with adjacent highly conserved sequences improves human papillomavirus detection by PCR. . J Gen Virol 76:, 1057–1062. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  3. de Villiers E. M., Lavergne D., Chang F., Syrjänen K., Tosi P., Cintorino M., Santopietro R., Syrjänen S.. ( 1999;). An interlaboratory study to determine the presence of human papillomavirus DNA in esophageal carcinoma from China. . Int J Cancer 81:, 225–228. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  4. de Villiers E. M., Fauquet C., Broker T. R., Bernard H. U., zur Hausen H.. ( 2004;). Classification of papillomaviruses. . Virology 324:, 17–27. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  5. Gornick M. C., Castellsague X., Sanchez G., Giordano T. J., Vinco M., Greenson J. K., Capella G., Raskin L., Rennert G.. & other authors ( 2010;). Human papillomavirus is not associated with colorectal cancer in a large international study. . Cancer Cause Control 21:, 737–743. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  6. HPV Information Center ( 2014;). ICO (Institut Català d’Oncologia) Information Centre on HPV and Cancer. . http://www.hpvcentre.net/
  7. Jemal A., Bray F., Center M. M., Ferlay J., Ward E., Forman D.. ( 2011;). Global cancer statistics. . CA Cancer J Clin 61:, 69–90. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  8. Kanthan R., Senger J. L., Kanthan S. C.. ( 2012;). Molecular events in primary and metastatic colorectal carcinoma: a review. . Pathol Res Int 2012:, 597497. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  9. La Rosa G., Fratini M., Accardi L., D’Oro G., Della Libera S., Muscillo M., Di Bonito P.. ( 2013;). Mucosal and cutaneous human papillomaviruses detected in raw sewages. . PLoS ONE 8:, e52391. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  10. Lorenzon L., Ferri M., Pilozzi E., Torrisi M. R., Ziparo V., French D.. ( 2011;). Human papillomavirus and colorectal cancer: evidences and pitfalls of published literature. . Int J Colorectal Dis 26:, 135–142. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  11. Moody C. A., Laimins L. A.. ( 2010;). Human papillomavirus oncoproteins: pathways to transformation. . Nat Rev Cancer 10:, 550–560. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  12. Puranen M., Saarikoski S., Syrjänen K., Syrjänen S.. ( 1996;). Polymerase chain reaction amplification of human papillomavirus DNA from archival, Papanicolaou-stained cervical smears. . Acta Cytol 40:, 391–395. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
  13. Tanzi E., Bianchi S., Fasolo M. M., Frati E. R., Mazza F., Martinelli M., Colzani D., Beretta R., Zappa A., Orlando G.. ( 2013;). High performance of a new PCR-based urine assay for HPV-DNA detection and genotyping. . J Med Virol 85:, 91–98. [CrossRef][PubMed]
    [Google Scholar]
http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journal/jgv/10.1099/vir.0.070672-0
Loading
/content/journal/jgv/10.1099/vir.0.070672-0
Loading

Data & Media loading...

Supplements

Supplementary Data



PDF

Most Cited This Month

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error